- At The Fleet
Aventuras Salvajes En California (2000): Es una expedición virtual que te deslizara desde las montañas junto con snowboarders, girando por los aires de San Diego con skysurfers, nadando los océanos junto con las nutrias, excavando desde treinta metros...
Rolling Stones [IMAX]at the MAXSpecial limited engagement! See the Stones: Bigger and louder than ever before! Shot on location in Turin, Berlin and London, Rolling Stones at the MAX features the band performing during their highly-acclaimed Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle tour. The Stones...
The Discoverers [IMAX]Feel the Courage. Live the Adventure.This film will show as part of Senior Monday on Monday, Dec. 2, only. Based on the Pulitzer Prize-winning book by Daniel J. Boorstin, this stunning film relives some of mankind's greatest moments of discovery, including Magellan's expedition to find the...
Back for a limited run in December 2013! Encounter the wilds of California as you sky surf over San Diego at 150mph, ride down a 25-foot wave at Maverick’s, snowboard the Sierra’s highest peaks and drop 130 feet into the center of a giant Sequoia! From...
What you can't see is right before your eyes!Mysteries of the Unseen World provides you with an incredible look at things that are normally too slow, too fast, too small or too vast for the human eye to see. The film's innovative use of high-speed and time-lapse photography, electron microscopy and...
Technology Takes OffExplore aerodynamics and flight technology in the Fleet’s newest exhibition, On the Fly: Technology Takes Off. The exhibition features multiple daily performances by small-scale unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), complemented by interactive stations where...
The Instrument That Rocked the WorldStarting December 20th, the Fleet Science Center will ROCK you! The Reuben H. Fleet Science Center is cranking science up to 11 this winter with the West Coast premiere of GUITAR: The Instrument That Rocked the World! Experience the guitar through...
Get Your Hands On ScienceOur Main Gallery exhibition combines some of our all-time favorites with exciting interactive exhibits from San Francisco’s Exploratorium. This collection features opportunities to explore mechanics, motion, math, hearing, electricity and many other...
Celebrate the Season at the FleetBalboa Park December Nights is the largest free community festival in San Diego. Come to Balboa Park and celebrate the holidays with lights, food, music and fun. The two-day extravaganza, Balboa Park's holiday gift to San Diego, features international...
A Live Concert Series Celebrating GUITARThe Fleet is ready to ROCK with our first-ever live concert series! Each show will feature: Two performances: an awesome opening act and a rockin' headliner Food for purchase from The French Gourmet Beer, wine and cocktails available at the no-...
An Early Morning Comet ISON CelebrationCOFFEE & COMETS is an early morning celebration for Comet ISON on Tuesday, November 26, at 5:30AM! This event has reached its registration capacity. SIGN UP FOR THE WAITLIST HERE Comet ISON has raised a lot of hope among skywatchers. The comet is...
The First Monday of Each MonthThe first Monday of every month, seniors 65 and better can enjoy the Science Center exhibits, a show in the Heikoff Giant Dome Theater and a lecture on the quietest day of the month for only $8! No coupons or additional discounts are accepted. The Fleet'...
The Science of ROCKOur next Science on the Rocks party is Thursday, January 23: The Science of ROCK! Our most recent party was on October 17. Look for pictures on our Science on the Rocks Facebook page soon. Didn't make it? Here's what you missed: Fall in love with...
Fleet volunteers and interns come from all different backgrounds, each with their own unique skills and expertise. What they have in common is their curiosity, love of learning, enthusiasm, and dedication to creating an excellent guest experience. In...
- Adult Programs
- Family Programs
- Youth Programs
- School Programs
- Outreach Programs
- Family Science Nights
- Guided Tours
- Nierman Challenger Learning Center
- IMAX Films
- Exhibit Galleries
- Home School Classes
- Special Events
- Teacher Guide
- Registration and Field Trip Policies
- Contact the Education Department
- Teacher Professional Development
- Nierman Challenger Learning Center
- Science Blog
- About Us
Education Programs Volunteer
Education Programs Volunteers assist Science Educators with the Fleet’s educational programs and events. Education Program Volunteers assist educators with workshop/event preparations and activities. Volunteers also help supervise workshop students.
- Assist Education Department staff with preparation of materials and set-up of activity areas
- Assist with the break-down of the workshop activities, including cleaning activity areas (sweep, wash dishes/materials, wipe tables, etc.) at the end of session
- Assist educators with facilitation of hands-on science activities
- Project a positive, friendly and helpful demeanor while working with students, instructors and parents
- Work effectively with children ranging from ages 3 to 13, as well as with adults
- Be knowledgeable of safety and emergency procedures
- Stay knowledgeable of current exhibitions, theater shows and events
- Energetic, outgoing and friendly, with a background and interest in science and/or education
- Very reliable, honest, friendly and punctual
- Desire to work with children and adult visitors from diverse backgrounds, being courteous, professional, patient and respectful at all times
- Previous experience teaching or working with children
- An effective communicator, showing appropriate tact and diplomacy
- Comfortable interacting with people you don’t know, or interest in gaining this skill
- Present a professional appearance
- Able to handle multiple functions effectively, in varying environments (outdoor, indoor, noisy, crowded, quiet, etc.)
Volunteers are asked for a minimum service commitment of six months, with two or more shifts per month, as shifts are available.
All volunteers participate in the “New Volunteer Orientation.” Education Programs Volunteers receive on-the-job training and instructions as they start their first shifts.
Education Programs Volunteer Impact
Education Programs Volunteers play an integral part in the operations of the Fleet’s community programming. Volunteers also support the Fleet’s mission by helping to spark guests’ curiosity, excitement and interest in our many hands-on activities. Education Program Volunteers help facilitate an effective learning environment to enhance the guests’ understanding and enjoyment of science and technology.