Gallery Facilitators interact with Fleet guests toward the goal of sparking curiosity, excitement and interest in our many hands-on exhibits. Gallery facilitators serve as exhibit and gallery monitors, science demonstrators, activity leaders and much more. Through initiating informal, inquiry-based conversations, Gallery Facilitators help guests explore a variety of science and technology topics.
- Utilize the inquiry method to facilitate interactions between guests and exhibits
- Facilitate open-ended, in-depth science activities with guests
- Answer basic exhibit usage questions
- Monitor guest behavior for safety and proper exhibit usage
- Perform basic gallery and exhibit maintenance: clean and dust galleries; assess exhibits for any broken or malfunctioning parts; refill exhibits (with water, sand, balls, etc.); start-up and closing procedures
- Stay knowledgeable of current exhibitions, theater shows and events
- Be knowledgeable about safety and emergency procedures
- After completing advanced training, conduct demonstrations related to current exhibits and other science concepts
- Energetic, outgoing and friendly, with a background and interest in science and/or education
- Desire to interact with children and adult guests from diverse backgrounds, being courteous, professional, patient and respectful at all times
- Previous experience teaching or working with children
- Able to succeed in a sometimes crowded, noisy environment
- Able to move through galleries for long periods of time without a space to sit
- Present a professional appearance
- Excellent communication skills and can act with diplomacy and tact
- Comfortable with public speaking, or interest in gaining this skill
Volunteers are asked for a minimum service commitment of six months, with 12 or more hours per month. Additionally, volunteers must attend all training sessions.
All volunteers participate in the “New Volunteer Orientation.” Gallery Facilitators also attend a training session, which covers topics such as science center education, science content, inquiry style of facilitation and more. New Gallery Facilitators complete a self-guided exploration of Fleet exhibits over their first few shifts to get further oriented to our exhibitions and the content included.
Gallery Facilitator Impact
Gallery Facilitators play an integral part in the science center’s operations by helping with the care of exhibits and by ensuring that guests have excellent and enjoyable experiences at the Fleet. They also support the Fleet’s mission as catalysts for each guest’s own discovery process and understanding of science and technology.