Gallery Facilitators interact with Fleet visitors toward the goal of sparking curiosity, excitement and interest in our many hands-on exhibits. Gallery facilitators serve as exhibit and gallery monitors, science demonstrators, activity leaders and much more. Through initiating informal, inquiry-based conversations, Gallery Facilitators help visitors explore a variety of science and technology topics.
- Utilize the inquiry method to facilitate interactions between visitors and exhibits
- Facilitate open-ended, in-depth science activities with visitors
- Answer basic exhibit usage questions
- Monitor guest behavior for safety and proper exhibit usage
- Perform basic gallery and exhibit maintenance: clean and dust galleries; assess exhibits for any broken or malfunctioning parts; refill exhibits (with water, sand, balls, etc.); start-up and closing procedures
- Stay knowledgeable of current exhibitions, theater shows and events
- Be knowledgeable about safety and emergency procedures
- After completing advanced training, conduct demonstrations related to current exhibits and other science concepts
- Energetic, outgoing and friendly, with a background and interest in science and/or education
- Desire to interact with children and adult guests from diverse backgrounds, being courteous, professional, patient and respectful at all times
- Previous experience teaching or working with children
- Able to succeed in a sometimes crowded, noisy environment
- Able to move through galleries for long periods of time without a space to sit
- Present a professional appearance
- Excellent communication skills and can act with diplomacy and tact
- Comfortable with public speaking, or interest in gaining this skill
Volunteers are asked for a minimum service commitment of six months, with 12 or more hours per month.
All volunteers participate in the “Orientation and Training.” Gallery Facilitators will also be introduced to the Mentorship Program where they will shadow an experienced volunteer for at least three shifts. Gallery Facilitators have 30 days to complete the Mentorship Program.
Gallery Facilitator Impact
Gallery Facilitators play an integral part in the science center’s operations by helping with the care of exhibits and by ensuring that visitors have excellent and enjoyable experiences at the Fleet. They also support the Fleet’s mission as catalysts for each visitors own discovery process and understanding of science and technology.