Human Resources Intern
Human Resources Interns provide support in the HR Department, which provides paid and unpaid staff members of the Fleet with the opportunity to grow in our organization and with a safe, healthy and fulfilling work environment. Interns complete research and administrative projects in furtherance of these goals, legal requirements and the Fleet’s mission.
- Perform general administrative duties in the Department, including data entry and filing of personnel information
- Participation in applicant screening, tracking and scheduling processes, as well as in processing criminal background checks
- Answer general telephone and in-person inquiries
- Create and post job opportunities, both internal and external
- Prepare new-hire packets and maintain supply of necessary forms/documents
- Assist with staff event coordination
- Coordinate staff recognition and rewards programs, such as Star Checks
- Other duties, as assigned
- College students, pursuing a degree in Human Resources, Organizational Development & Training or other related field
- Previous administrative or general office experience
- Intermediate to advanced skills with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), and are able to perform mathematical operations
- Demonstrate outstanding attention to detail and follow-through
- Able to multi-task and maintain professional demeanor at all times
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written
- Reliable, punctual, honest and friendly
- Interest in interacting with people from diverse backgrounds, being courteous, professional, patient and respectful at all times
- Excellent ability to maintain strict confidentiality
- Capable of working independently, as well as in a team environment
- Minimum age: 18
Interns are asked for a minimum service commitment of 12 weeks, with eight or more hours per week, generally between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. on weekdays. Shifts can be flexible to accommodate school schedule.
All interns participate in the Fleet’s orientation program. Interns also receive training based on individual projects in which they may be asked to participate.
HR Intern Impact
With the support of HR Interns and their work behind the scenes, we are better able to meet the Fleet’s mission, achieve strategic goals and maximize the guest experience. Interns help support the facilitation of an environment that enhances the public understanding and enjoyment of science and technology.