Museum Ambassador Supervisor
General Job Description:
The Reuben H. Fleet Science Center, the popular hands-on science museum in historic Balboa Park, is seeking a leader to coordinate, supervise and train our museum ambassador volunteers and other relevant staff. This selected candidate will also be responsible for scheduling, developing volunteer ambassadors and enforcing Fleet policies & procedures as well as be present in our galleries and in our theater where they will be available to answer general questions and address issues and emergencies that may arise with guests or staff.
Please note that the above job description is not all inclusive of actual job duties and is meant to give an applicant a basic summary of the job opportunity being offered.
Basic Selection Factors:
To be considered qualified for the job; applicants should meet these basic selection factors:
- One-year experience in a customer service and/or volunteer coordination position
- Six months prior supervisory experience working with volunteers, preferred
- The ability to develop, train, orientate and motivate volunteer and paid staff as well as mentor and/or conduct corrective action as needed in a constructive and professional manner
- The ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing to groups and/or individuals
- Intermediate computer skills preferred. Knowledge of Volgistics or other similar scheduling software helpful.
- Strong ability to multi-task and follow-up required
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to be proactive in planning and scheduling
- Must be able to effectively handle challenging guest relations issues and/or staff issues with diplomacy and tact while maintaining company policies and procedures
- Demonstrated ability to provide excellent guest service and the ability to motivate staff to do the same
- Demonstrated excellent organizational skills
- Must be able to maintain focus during busy periods of time to achieve goals
- Knowledge of Balboa Park, San Diego attractions, and the Reuben H. Fleet Science Center preferred.
- Ability to read in order to make public announcements using microphone as well as walkie-talkie and convey information to patrons and employees.
Please note final applicants may be tested on their Microsoft Office computer skills and may be asked to demonstrate writing, proofreading and mathematical skills.
To be considered for the job, applicants must be able to perform with reasonable accommodation, all physical & mental requirements of the position.
Medium Work: Position involves sitting some of the time. Standing and walking are required. Position requires ability to exert minimal force of up to 10 pounds occasionally and minimal force to carry, lift, push, and otherwise move objects frequently.
The following activities indicated by a Y (YES) are used in performing the job.
|Y||Balance||Y||Carrying 1-10 lbs daily|
|N||Legs and arms (ladder)||Y||Lifting 11-20 lbs occasionally|
|Y||Right finger dexterity||Y||Standing|
|Y||Working inside the building||Y||Ability to push a wheelchair|
|Y||Working with others||N||Climbing|
|Y||Carrying 11-20 lbs daily||N||Crouching|
|Y||Left finger dexterity||N||Legs only (stairs)|
|N||Lifting 21-50 lbs daily||Y||Pulling|
|Y||Repetitive Motions||Y||Shoulder mobility|
|Y||Working outside the building||Y||Working alone|
|Y||Ability to spend entire shift standing and/or walking||N||occasionally up to 100 pounds of force to move objects|
|N||Carrying 11-20 lbs occasionally||N||Travel|
Does occupation involve exposure in these areas (yes or no)?
|N||Hazardous machinery||N||Vibration||N||Dust or Fumes|
|N||Cluttered floors||N||Poor ventilation||N||Possible burns|
|N||Electrical hazards||Y||Noise||N||Wet areas|
The Reuben H. Fleet Science Center is an equal opportunity employer. The Science Center does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, Vietnam Era Veteran or disabled veteran status, sexual orientation or any other protected status as provided by law.